Section IV -- Operating Instructions for the P-39
- PRELIMINARY CHECK
- Obtain flight clearance.
- Check outside of airplane.
- Check controls.
- LEFT TO RIGHT COCKPIT CHECK
- Check controls for location.
- Check Flaps, brakes, and controls to insure working order and proper positions.
- Carburetor heat COLD.
- Ram air OPEN.
- Rudder tab 5° RIGHT.
- Elevator tab 5° NOSE UP.
- Ailerons NEUTRAL.
- Gas Selector RESERVE.
- Throttle cracked 1".
- Mixture IDLE CUT-OFF.
- Propeller HIGH RPM.
- Check landing light switches OFF.
- Battery and generator ON.
- Fuel booster ON.
- Check your standard instrument panel for correct settings.
- Check radio for proper settings.
- Check gear clutch handle ELECTRIC.
- Coolant shutters OPEN.
- Oil shutters OPEN.
- Caution in use of hand brake "Always use your right hand to operate your hand
brake." The auxiliary gas tank release is too hand if you use your left.
- BEFORE TAKE-OFF
- Mixture AUTO RICH, carburetor heat FULL COLD.
- Cooland and oil shutters open.
- Prop in FULL HIGH RPM position.
- Warm up at engine speed that is free of vibration, under 1400 RPM.
- Check magnetos at 2300 RPM.
- Check operation of propeller.
- Check generator.
- Check flap operations.
- Check all instruments for proper functioning, especially coolant temperatures. Watch
for overheating. (125° C max.)
- Close and latch cabin door and windows.
- While taxiing open throttle occasionally to 1500 RPM to keep plugs from fouling.
- USE OF POWER
EMERGENCY LANDING GEAR OPERATION
- Gas selector on RESERVE.
- Fuel booster pump ON.
- Mixture control AUTO RICH.
- Gear down at 170 IAS. (200 IAS Max.)
- Check gear by lights, mirror on pitot tube, ammeter drop and hand crank.
- Prop in 2500 RPM position, throttle to maintain 150 MPH in pattern.
- Oil and coolant shutters as required.
- Flaps down at 140 IAS. (150 IAS Max.)
- Check gear and flap instruments.
EMERGENCY FLAP OPERATION There is noo emergency operation of your flaps.
Before using your emergency procedure have the landing gear switch off and check your
fuse box on the forward left hand side of the cockpit. The top most forward fuse in this
set is your gear fuse. Spare fuses are on the bottom of this box. NOTE: It takes a small
screw driver to get the fuse in or out.
- Place the landing gear switch in OFF position.
- Slow airplane down to approx. 130 MPH.
- Turn land gear clutch handle from electric to manual.
- Put ratchet in DOWN position on emergency gear handle and crank gear down.
- If gear still fails to work keep working crank back and forth from up to down position.
The probable reason for the failure of the emergency procedure is that your gears are
binding. By working your ratchet handle back and forth they will operate.
(This placard is to be in all 175 gallon equipped P-39s)
With 175 gallon Belly Tank installed - Minimum cruise speed 175 IAS - Recommended to
180 IAS. Minimum speed for turning near ground 160 IAS.