Section VIII -- Operating Instructions for the P-63
- PRE-FLIGHT CHECK SHEET FOR P-63
LOOK YOURSELF! DON'T TAKE ANYONE'S WORD FOR IT
- Look this ship over for low shock struts and tires, also tire slippage.
- Check for signs of oil or hydraulic leaks.
- Take hold of auxiliary gas tanks and see if they are secure. Take caps off and check
- Verify that switch is OFF then check propeller for nicks or cracks.
- Check ship for loose inspection plates.
- Check main wing tanks visually for amount of fuel.
- See that airspeed tube cover is off under left wing. (Not visible from cockpit)
- Inspect flight control surfaces (flaps, ailerons, rudder and elevators for holes or
damage and for free movement).
- Climb in right side of ship (hand hold is on that side).
- Check Form 1A.
- Put chute on, fasten safety belt and shoulder straps.
- Check switch OFF and have propeller pulled through 2 or 3 times.
- LEFT TO RIGHT COCKPIT CHECK
- Check gear switch (should be OFF) before turning battery ON.
- Rudder trim - 4 degrees right.
- Elevator trim - 1/2 degree up.
- Flaps up.
- Mixture IDLE CUT-OFF.
- OPEN throttle to unlock controls then crack 1".
- Fuel Selector to BOTH.
- Battery ON.
- Gun Switches OFF.
- Gun sights OFF.
- Filter OFF (Cold Rammed Air)
- Pitot heat OFF.
- Oil Shutters OPEN or CLOSED as required by local temperature.
- Coolant Shutters OPEN.
- Fuel pumps low (Normal).
- Carb. heat COLD.
- STARTING ENGINE (Refer to Sec II, Page 1)
- BEFORE TAKE-OFF
- Mixture AUTO RICH, carburetor heat FULL COLD. Carb. filter OFF (EXCEPT where indicated
by dusty conditions).
- Coolant and oil shutters AUTOMATIC.
- Warm up at engine speed that is free of vibration (under 1400 RPM).
- Check magnetos at 30" Manifold Pressure.
- Check generator.
- Check flap operation.
- Check all instruments for proper functioning, especially coolant temperatures. Watch
- Close and latch cabin door and windows.
- OPEN throttle occasionally while taxiing to 1500 RPM to keep plugs from fouling.
- USE OF PWER WHEN USING 100 OCTANE FUEL
NOTE: AUTO LEAN IS USED FOR CRUISE IF MAX. RANGE IS NEEDED.
USE OF FUEL
- Start, warm-up, taxi and Take-Off on BOTH.
- At a safe altitude after Take-Off change to LEFT MAIN. Use gas from this tank for 15
min. to take care of return flow.
- Alternate on tanks at regular intervals, using a definite time period such as 15 min. or
- Gas Selector on RIGHT and LEFT.
- Fuel booster pump ON low.
- Mixture control AUTO RICH.
- Set prop control in max. cruising RPM approx. 2600.
- Oil and coolant shutters AUTOMATIC.
- Flaps down below 180 IAS (or as ship is placarded).
- Gear down below 180 IAS (or as ship is placarded).
- Return gear and flap switches to OFF.
- Emergency Landing Gear Procedure
Manual operation of the landing gear.
- Place landing gear switch in the OFF position.
- Slow airplane down to 130 IAS.
- Set ratchet on manual crank and crank landing gear down.
- The P-63 has no MANUAL-ELECTRIC hand clutch to operate.
- There is no emergency flap operation available to the pilot.
- Engine Failure on Take-OFF
- Get nose down STRAIGHT AHEAD.
- Drop belly tank.
- Mixture in IDLE CUT-OFF.
- Gear up.
- Ignition OFF.
- FULL FLAPS.
- Gas OFF, battery OFF, generator OFF.
- Right door EMERGENCY released.