Section VI -- Operating Instructions for the P-47
- PRELIMINARY CHECK
- Obtain flight clearance.
- Check outside of airplane.
- Check controls.
- ENTER COCKPIT
- Check controls for location.
- Check gear (see that handle is down).
- Check flaps, handle must be in UP position.
- Flap equalizer, on models having Flap Equalizer, closed, in down position.
- Generator switch ON.
- P-47B Ignition switch to BAT. P-47C, P-47D and P-47G Ignition switch OFF and master
battery switch on.
- Intercooler shutters neutral.
- Oil cooler shutters Neutral.
- Propeller switch ON and selector in AUTOMATIC.
- Fuel boost pump to START and ALTITUDE. (fully counterclockwise).
- Check fuel pressure.
- Gun switch OFF.
- Adjust rudder pedal.
- STARTING ENGINE
- Turn propeller several revolutions by hand with ignition OFF.
- P-47B Ignition switch BAT. P-47C, P-47D and P-47G Master batter switch ON.
- Supercharger lever OFF (full rear position).
- Fuel selector valve MAIN.
- Crack throttle 1/4" to 1/2" OPEN.
- Mixture control IDLE CUT-OFF.
- Propeller switch AUTOMATIC. Circuit Breaker ON.
- Propeller control maximum RPM - 2700 RPM.
- Fuel boost pump control to START and ALTITUDE.
- Prime 2 - 4 strokes if warm and 4 - 6 if cold. As much as one-forth throttle opening and
heavy priming may be necessary when extremely cold.
- Ignition switch to BOTH.
- Energize and engage starter, push mixture forward to AUTO RICH as soon as engine fires.
If engine stops due to being loaded, open throttle wide and return mixture to IDLE CUT-OFF
until engine fires again then retard throttle and return mixture to AUTO RICH. Throttle to
- WARM UP AND TAKE OFF
- Check oil pressure (if 25 lbs is not reached in 30 seconds cut off engine).
- Do not increase power above 1000 RPM if oil pressure is 150 to 200 lbs. Wait until it is
normal. Below 90 lbs.
- Check magnetos.
- With flap selector handle UP (fully forward) equalize flaps to be sure that flaps will
- Unlock tail wheel and taxi.
- Set trim tabs elevator NEUTRAL, aileron NEUTRAL, and rudder TAKE-OFF position.
- Mixture AUTO RICH.
- Fuel selector valve on MAIN TANK.
- Flaps UP.
- Cowl flaps OPEN TRAIL.
- Lock tail wheel.
- Open throttle not to exceed 42" (with 91 octane fuel).
- Watch for overheating - AVOID.
- USE OF POWER
||(if 91 octane do not exceed 42") maximum RPM 2700
||(after 10 hours) first 10 hours - 25" and 2250 RPM
WING FLAP OPERATION - EMERGENCY
- Do not lower landing gear above 200 MPH.
- Do not lower flaps above 195 MPH.
- Never exceed 250 MPH with landing gear down.
- Use of partial flaps (return flap handle to neutral).
- Do not use up all of runway, land near as possible to beginning of runway.
LANDING GEAR OPERATION - EMERGENCY
In event of failure of the engine-driven hydraulic pump, the flaps may be manually
lowered by use of the emergency hand pump located at the left of the pilot's seat.
Land gear operation in case of failure of engine-driven hydraulic pump. To retract
landing gear move control handle to UP position as usual. Operate the hand pump until the
warning light indicates that the gear is up and locked.
To extend landing gear move control lever to the DOWN position as usual. This
will release the gear which should drop into position and lock due to its own weight. If
the gear is still not locked down, yaw the airplane from side to side.
WARNING - Always complete landing gear cycle if possible. IF handle is move to UP allow
gear to go completely up before changing valve. If handle is moved to DOWN allow gear to
go completely down before changing control.